Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Chevron Potato Stamp Art




So, I have this wall in my living room that has been looking a little lonesome and awkward. Mostly because I have all of these awesome vintage frames from thrift stores hung on the wall... but most of them don't actually have any art/pictures in them.

A few weeks ago, and right before having baby #2 I decided it was about time to start filling the empty frames with a little homemade art. I have seen so many fun chevron inspired wall prints all over Pintrest and really wanted to do something similar.

I really didn't want to buy any art and I didn't want to have to run to the store for DIY supplies either. After spending a little time brainstorming, I remembered making 'art' out of cut up fruit and veggie stamps when I was a kid, and then realized that I could make my own "potato" chevron stamp!

The wall has made a little progress since, but as you can see it still needs a little help.

Click below to get my tutorial, it's super easy and tons of fun!




Potato Stamp Art
Materials needed
Paint
Paper plates
Scissors
Potatoes
Paper & paper towels
Blank canvas
Sharp knife

Step 1. Make your own chevron pattern by simply drawing a parallelogram (to desired width and length) by hand or on the computer. Cut out the pattern and pencil out where each stamp is going to go on your blank canvas. (or if you are very gifted you can just eyeball it).



Step 2. Grab a large potato and slice it in half long-ways. Then place the parallelogram pattern on the potato and cut around the pattern with a knife. You can make 1 stamp and re-use it, or make multiples for different colors like I did. 


Step 3. Mix desired paint colors, and pour onto separate paper plates.

Step 4. blot some of the moisture out of the potato stamp with a paper towel. Dip the stamp into the paint and test out the stamp on a piece of paper. 

Step 5. Begin to stamp your canvas!
Some of my stamps didn't have the crisp edges that I wanted. So, I would just take my stamp and rock the edges back and forth until I was satisfied with the shape.

Step 6. Allow time to dry completely, then hang where desired!

26 comments:

  1. Oh so creative! I used to do this when I was little but I like the adult version much better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great!!!!! I'm in the same boat with a few walls that are just staring at me. I may give this a go =) Hope all is well with the baby.

    - Sarah
    A Girl In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is pretty cool. i want one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. THis is brilliant, i just finished doing something similar, but with my daughter's toys, I used building blocks and wrapped some yarn around them and then dipped them in paint and just stamped it on a white canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute Andrea! The wall is looking great by the way. Have fun with the new little babe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so crazy beautiful! Some tips are really really helpful! Thanks for sharing! Once again - beaaaauuutiful! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea and how it turned out! I'm definitely doing this!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Number one, I'm impressed you're posting DIYs just after having a baby! Also, I love this idea. It looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome, I just love it. I love the colours you chose too! Any chance you'll be sharing your pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun project! I love the colors you used and that frame- simply beautiful! And I would love to link to this if you didn't mind, my readers would go nuts over this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a super fun and effective idea. Great colour choice too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That turned out so well! What a great tutorial, I think some potato art might be in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hopping over from Centsational Girl, hi! I love this project, I really can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did you use the same size chevron the whole pattern? Or did you use smaller ones as you went up?

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so gorgeous... can't wait to try this out! I love doing potato art too with my little boy. :) Thanks for sharing!

    http://enjoyerofgrace.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I too have one of those walls and a bunch of vintage frames. Definitely going to try this! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great tutorial...makes me want to get crafty

    ReplyDelete
  18. How did you do the tree trunk art?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, My husband made it and there is a tutorial at:

      http://strawberry-chic.blogspot.com/2012/01/simple-rustic-wall-art.html

      Delete
  19. This looks great! What kind of paint did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  20. potatoes? You are so creative! Looks great! Hope your feeling well!

    ReplyDelete
  21. ohhhh I love Chevron!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome tutorial! This would look great on a shirt too! just use some fabric paint.

    ReplyDelete
  23. what size canvas did you use? and on the frame, what size is that one?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Brilliant. Going to get my stamp on! Crafty Christmas this year :) my favourite

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...